The Observatory on Latin America,The New School, and their partners, are participating in the World Urban Forum 6, taking place in Naples, Italy from September 1 to September 6, 2012.
The World Urban Forum was established by the United Nations to examine the impact of rapid urbanization on communities, cities, economies, climate change, and policies. The Forum brings together participants from all over the world representing governments, academia, civil society, and the private sector as partners working for better cities.
We are pleased to contribute to the discourse with a series of events on the official WUF6 calendar, as well as with ongoing events at The New School Booth (#58).
Monday September 3
- 14:30-16:30 “Design and Development: Anticipating the Future of Bangkok, Buenos Aires, and New York” Networking Event 6 with speakers from Chulalongkorn University (Bangkok), University of Buenos Aires, and The New School (New York). Location: Pavilion 6, Room 6.
- 16:30-18:30 Margarita Gutman’s book launch: Buenos Aires. The Power of Anticipation: Itinerant images of the Metropolitan Future. Location: the Sardegna Room (UN-Habitat Media room)
Tuesday September 4
- 12:30-13:30 Global Urban Futures, a discussion on pedagogy at The New School, with Michael Cohen, Robert Buckley, Brian McGrath, Miodrag Mitrasinovic, Shagun Herhotra, Margarita Gutman and William Morrish. Location: The New School Booth (#58)
- 13:30-14:30 Slum Upgrading and Alternative Economies in Buenos Aires by University of Buenos Aires faculty Ariel Misuraca, Ariel Pradelli, Juan Pablo Scaglia Location: The New School Booth (#58)
- 14:30-15:30 Professor Shagun Mehrotra presents at the UCCRN ARC3 2.0 Launch of Second Climate Change and Cities Assessment. Location: UN-Habitat’s Sardegna Room
- 14:30-15:30 Ciudades, la ecuacion imposible – book presentation. Michael Cohen is a discussant with speakers Jordi Borja, Mirea Belil and Joan Clos. Location: TBD
- 16:30-17:30 Generative Practice: Architect Scott Drake, Chulalongkorn University – Bangkok, will present on their Design/Build strategies for Bangkok Location: The New School Booth (#58)
- 17:30-18:30 Cape Town’s history of urban planning, and the subsequent successes, failures, and impacts on the urban fabric of the city – a presentation on policy and reality by Jacquie Kataneksza and guests. Location: The New School Booth (#58)
Wednesday September 5
- 9:00-12:00 Michael Cohen, Director of the Graduate Program in International Affairs, is a panelist at the WUF Dialogue 3: Productive Cities – Competitive and Innovative Cities
- 11:30-12:30: World Society for Ekistics session:Shagun Mehrotra is an invited speaker. Location: Villa Colonna Bandini, the INAIL Campania Region Training Facility. Location: inside the CTO by Capodimonte
- 12:00-13:00: Poverty and Social Policy in Argentina (en Español) by Adriana Clemente, University of Buenos Aires. Location: The New School Booth (#58)
- 12:00-13:30: Urbanisms of Inclusion. Presentation by Urban Designer Brian McGrath and Architect/urbanist Miodrag Mitrasinovic. Side Event 18, Pavilion 6, Room 8.
- 16:30-17:30 Urban Ecology/Urban Economy: Presentation by Architect Bill Morrish and Urban Economist Robert Buckley Location: The New School Booth (#58)